Have you ever felt that you were facing an immovable mountain? have you ever felt stuck? Have you ever said to yourself, I would do _____ if I had _____? Have you ever felt like you yourself weren't enough? I think we all have similar thoughts at some point in our lives (if not these exact ones) and I believe that as children of God these moments are meant to do a few things. Humble us, point us to God's strength, expand our faith and point our witnesses to God.
I'm going to share my journal notes on a brief study of II Kings 4:1-7 I did with my new friends at Ebon Temple in Orlando. However, please continue to dive deeper into this passage and subject during the month of February to see where you need to exercise your faith. Also, reflect on the times where God has done the seemingly impossible on your behalf.
The Widow’s Olive Oil
4 The wife of a man from the company of the prophets cried out to Elisha, “Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that he revered the Lord. But now his creditor is coming to take my two boys as his slaves.”
2 Elisha replied to her, “How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?”
“Your servant has nothing there at all,” she said, “except a small jar of olive oil.”
3 Elisha said, “Go around and ask all your neighbors for empty jars. Don’t ask for just a few. 4 Then go inside and shut the door behind you and your sons. Pour oil into all the jars, and as each is filled, put it to one side.”
5 She left him and shut the door behind her and her sons. They brought the jars to her and she kept pouring. 6 When all the jars were full, she said to her son, “Bring me another one.”
But he replied, “There is not a jar left.” Then the oil stopped flowing.
7 She went and told the man of God, and he said, “Go, sell the oil and pay your debts. You and your sons can live on what is left.”
Properly evaluate the current situation
1. husband has passed = left debt
2. children will be sold into slavery if not paid
Don't waste your time and resources on things that are dead.
Ask for help
1. Are you willing to help yourself? (set aside pride)
2. What skills, talents and gifts do you have that can help you?
You always have a little = grace
Be willing to involve the community
1. You can't do it all on your own
2. God uses others to bless you
3. Who you borrow from makes a difference
Apply your faith to who God is || Trust God to make up the difference
- When you have King Jesus, you have more than enough
- People involved become witnesses to the miracles in your life
1. Pride will cause you to miss your blessing
- What if the widow was prideful and didn't ask Elisha for help
- What if the she wasn't honest about her needs and possession
- What if the boys were too ashamed to ask for pots
- What if they didn't go sell the oil
2. Often times we allow what people will think of us discourage us from getting the help we need and accepting the provision that God has put in place for us.
With Christ we lack nothing. We must listen, obey and trust
God releases our potential
1. When we admit we aren't enough and must rely on our heavenly Father, He will expand our faith by teaching us ...
Trust, humility, and obedience
Why do we have trials, burdens and heartache
1. We must see the need.
2. If we could handle it on our own, would we ever look to God?
When we realize we can't handle everything alone our faith in ourselves is eliminated and our faith in God grows.
The miracle was the oil kept flowing and more than enough was provided for the widow and her boys. I love that God does more than we can ever expect in our lives.
GOD'S PROVISION IS LIMITED BY NOTHING BUT OUR FAITH
In your journals, take a moment to fill in the reflection section on the back. Think about what you learned from the scripture reading and how you might apply it to your everyday life or a current situation. You can also write down a prayer concerning your expansion of faith.
If you would like to read a testimony of mine associated with this passage please click HERE.
Here's a few scriptures to visit during the month that will cause you to go deeper in the study:
Josh 7 & 8 2 Peter 1-3 Luke 10:19 Mttw 18 Acts 9:5
Jer 33:3 Mattw 7:7-11 Phil 4:19 Mttw 6:25-34 Gen 30:1
Num 12:2 Gen 18:13-14